The African-American atlas : Black history and culture--an illustrated reference /
New York : London :
Macmillan ; Prentice Hall International,
Table of Contents:
- African origins : "I got my religion from out of the sun"
- The transatlantic journey : "I don't care where you bury my body"
- African resistance to enslavement : "Dark clouds a'risin'"
- The great enslavement : "De udder worl' is not like dis"
- Remembering and organizing : "And before I'd be a slave"
- The gathering of freedom fighters : "All my troubles will soon be over with"
- The Civil War : "My Lord gwineter to rain down fire"
- The promise of reconstruction : "Swing low, sweet chariot"
- A new repression cometh : "Now ain't them hard trials"
- In defiance of segregatiion : "And still we rise"
- The era of demonstrative protest : "Great day, great day, the righteous marching"
- The transforming of America : "Before this time another year"
- Social and economic realities : "Didn't my Lord deliver Daniel"
- Dates to remember.