The varieties of political experience in eighteenth-century America /
University of Pennsylvania Press,
|Series:||Early American studies.
Table of Contents:
- The traditional order of politics in England and America
- Eighteenth-century Virginia : in pursuit of the deferential ideal
- The character of the good ruler in eighteenth-century Massachusetts
- Uneasy oligarchs : the manor lords of upstate New York
- Complacent oligarchs : the merchant planters of South Carolina
- The unsettling political cultures of the backcountry : the southern backcountry
- The unsettling political cultures of the backcountry : the northern frontier
- The paradox of popular and oligarchic political behavior in colonial Pennsylvania
- Toward democratic pluralism : the politics of the cities of the northeast
- The unfinished revolution in American political culture.