The crucible of consent : American child rearing and the forging of liberal society /
Cambridge, Mass. :
Harvard University Press,
|Online Access:||Connect to the full text of this electronic book|
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: is consent credible?
- The hidden dynamic of childhood consent
- Part I. The dream of revolutionary erasure
- Part II. Framing liberal child-rearing in the early republic: from factionalism to mainstream: the emerging consensus on agency socialization; constituting the voluntary citizen; socializing society: popular education and the diffusion of
- Agency; educating the agent as liberal citizen
- Part III. Consolidating the postwar agency republic: the "self-made" citizen: the science of agency and the erasure of socialization; a superfluous socialization? shaping the self-realizing child; divided we stand: education in the emerging organizational age
- Coda: from dewey to discord-the twentieth-century crisis of the consensual society.