Revolt of the saints : memory and redemption in the twilight of Brazilian racial democracy /
Duke University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: being, through the archive
- "The eighteenth battalion of love": failure and the dissemination of misinterpretation
- Letters to the Amazons
- Prostitution's bureaucracy: making up people in the "city of women"
- A metaphysics for our time: Pelourinho properties, Bahian social bodies, and the shifting meanings of rams and fetuses
- Treasure tales and national bodies: mystery and metaphor in Bahian life
- "But madame, what if I should need to defecate in your neighborhood?"
- "Chatty chatty mouth, you want to know your culture"
- Conclusion: saints, not angels.