The social imperative : race, close reading, and contemporary literary criticism /
Stanford, California :
Stanford University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : schemas and racial literacy
- Racism is not intellectual : the dialogic potential of multicultural literature
- Not one and the same thing : the ethical relationship of selves to others in Toni Morrison's Sula
- Another way to be : vestigial schemas in Helena Maria Viramontes's "The moths" and Manuel Muñoz's "Zigzagger"
- Dismantling the master's house : the search for decolonial love in Junot Díaz's "How to date a browngirl, blackgirl, whitegirl, or halfie"
- The misprision of mercy : race and responsible reading in Toni Morrison's A mercy
- Conclusion : reading race.