The gates of Europe : a history of Ukraine /
"From one of the foremost experts on Ukraine and the former USSR, a concise, authoritative history of Ukraine. Ukraine is currently embroiled in a tense battle with Russia to preserve its economic and political independence. But today's conflict is only the latest in a long history of batt...
New York, NY :
Basic Books, a member of the Perseus Books Group,
- On the Pontic frontier. The edge of the world ; The advent of the Slavs ; Vikings on the Dnieper ; Byzantium north ; The keys to Kyiv ; Pax mongolica
- East meets West. The making of Ukraine ; The cossacks ; Eastern reformations ; The Great Revolt ; The partitions ; The verdict of Poltava
- Between the empires. The new frontiers ; The books of the genesis ; The porous border ; On the move ; The unfinished revolution
- The wars of the world. The birth of a nation ; A shattered dream ; Communism and nationalism ; Stalin's fortress ; Hitler's Lebensraum ; The victors
- The road to independence. The second Soviet republic ; Farewell to the empire ; Independence at last! ; The price of freedom
- The meanings of history
- Historical timeline
- Who's who in Ukrainian history.