What did you do during the war? : the last throes of the British pro-Nazi Right, 1940-45 /
This book is a sequel to Richard Griffiths's two highly successful previous books on the British pro-Nazi Right: Fellow-Travellers of the Right : British Enthusiasts for Nazi Germany, 1933-9; and Patriotism Perverted : Captain Ramsay, the Right Club and British Anti-Semitism, 1939-40. It follow...
London ; New York :
|Series:||Routledge studies in fascism and the far right.
- PART ONE: PUNCTURING MYTHS ABOUT THE "PHONEY WAR" PERIOD
- To fight or not to fight : the myth of Mosley's patriotism
- The reception of Bryant's Unfinished Victory : the myth of public unanimity against Nazi Germany in early 1940
- PART TWO: PEACE AND WAR, HIGH-MINDEDNESS AND LOW CONNECTIONS : THE DUKE OF BEDFORD AND THE PEACE MOVEMENT
- Evangelical anticapitalism : the strange case of the Duke of Bedford
- "How can the Germans be blamed? : the infiltration of the Peace Movement
- PART THREE: DEFENCE REGULATION 18B, AND ITS AFTER-EFFECTS
- The watershed : the arrests of May-June 1940 and their aftermath
- The re-emergence of extreme Right-wing movements in Britain, 1940-45
- PART FOUR: RENEGADES
- "Long before 1939 I had become an admirer of the Nazi system" : five British broadcasters for Nazi Germany
- PART FIVE: PRO-NAZISM, PATRIOTISM, HATRED, FEAR, REMORSE : THE EXTRAORDINARY VARIETY OF MOTIVES AMONG FORMER "FELLOW-TRAVELLERS"
- "Have you found many Lavals among your Galloway friends?" : wartime and post-war disputes between three "Fellow Travellers of the Right"
- "I wrote a very full and strong letter to the King" : two would-be negotiators
- "The internment of a person of her social standing might give the public a wrong impression" : the charmed lives of various "pillars of society"
- "His impetuous nature, obstinacy and flawed judgement" : a bull in a china shop
- "You know the Jew racket as well as I do" : the vagaries of the "back-to-the-landers"
- PART SIX: AFTERMATH
- "Change and decay in all around I see" : further post-war decline
- APPENDIX: Rogues' Gallery.