Early rock art of the American west : the geometric enigma /
The earliest rock art, in the Americas as elsewhere, is geometric or abstract. Until now, however, no book-length study has been devoted to the deep antiquity and amazing range of geometrics and the fascinating questions that arise from their ubiquity and variety. Why did they precede representation...
University of Washington Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Ekkehart Malotki and Ellen Dissanayake
- The concept of artification / Ellen Dissanayake
- Terminology, chronology, and dating of North American paleomarks / Ekkehart Malotki
- Cupules as an archetypal artification / Ekkehart Malotki and Ellen Dissanayake
- Ancestral minds and the spectrum of symbol / Ellen Dissanayake
- Sites and styles of the western archaic tradition rock art complex / Ekkehart Malotki
- Origins and functions of abstract-geometric markings / Ekkehart Malotki and Ellen Dissanayake
- Why did our ancestors artify? / Ellen Dissanayake
- Conclusion: the geometric enigma / Ekkehart Malotki and Ellen Dissanayake.