I am legend as American myth : race and masculinity in the novel and its film adaptations /
Richard Matheson's 1954 novel I Am Legend has spawned a series of horror and science fiction films. This reexamination of Matheson's novel situates the tale of one man's attitude about killing racialized "others" within its orginal post-World War II context. The author analy...
Jefferson, North Carolina :
McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: I am legends: adapting Richard Matheson's last man novel to the screen
- Richard Matheson's I am legend: the trauma of World War II and the decline of western "right"
- Visualizing apocalypse through compromised masculinity: Vincent Price as the last man on Earth
- The last white man on earth: Charlton Heston in The omega man
- The color of the new hero: Will Smith in I am legend
- Conclusion: I am legend as American myth.