Public and private education in America : examining the facts /
Santa Barbara, California :
|Online Access:||Connect to the full text of this electronic book|
Table of Contents:
- How to use this book
- Public vs. private schools
- Do students in private schools outperform students enrolled in public schools?
- Are political conservatives and corporations the biggest supporters of privatization of the American K-12 school system?
- Do private schools accept students with disabilities?
- Are public and private school teachers similar in their educational and socioeconomic backgrounds?
- School choice part I : competition, stratification, homeschooling, and vouchers
- Do market-based reforms such as school choice increase competition and improve school performance?
- Do school choice programs contribute to the resegregation of American schools?
- Does homeschooling lead to better outcomes for students than traditional public schools?
- Do school vouchers produce better student outcomes?
- Do education tax credits and education savings accounts divert money from public to private schools?
- School choice part II : charter schools
- Do charter schools have significant variations in structure, operations, and performance from school to school?
- Are charter schools actually public schools?
- Are charter schools more innovative than traditional public schools?
- Do charter schools perform better than traditional public schools?
- Are poorly performing charter schools closed down?
- Are most publicly funded charter schools operated by Education Management Organizations and Charter Management Organizations?
- Standards, accountability, and assessment
- Have standards-based reforms worked to improve the academic performance of American school children?
- Are the Common Core state standards a national initiative-and if so, do they amount to a national curriculum?
- Has time that students spend preparing for and taking standardized tests increased dramatically in U.S. public schools?
- Has high-stakes testing improved schools?
- Is it difficult for public schools to fire bad teachers?
- Do assessment systems exist that can accurately capture the value-added impact of teachers on their students' test scores?
- Is the U.S. lagging behind other nations in K-12 education?
- How are the political interests that shape education policy organized?
- Teaching and Learning
- Do later school start times make a difference in children's learning?
- Is bilingual education effective?
- Does homework increase student achievement?
- School environment
- Are students disciplined disproportionately by race and gender?
- Are small schools better than large schools in providing a quality education to students?
- Are American schools less safe now than in the past?
- Are public and private schools still racially and economically segregated?
- Do today's full-time virtual schools offer a high-quality education for students?
- Do students learn more in smaller classes?