Sinophone Southeast Asia : Sinitic voices across the Southern Seas /
"This volume explores the diverse linguistic landscape of Southeast Asia's Chinese communities. Based on archival research and previously unpublished linguistic fieldwork, it unearths a wide variety of language histories, linguistic practices, and trajectories of words. The localized and o...
Leiden ; Boston :
|Series:||Chinese overseas : history, literature, and society,
volume 20 |
|Online Access:||Connect to the full text of this electronic book|
Table of Contents:
- From ang moh hong mao to phi jun pi jun : the role of Southern Min in early contacts between Chinese and European languages / Picus Sizhi Ding
- At the periphery of Nanyang : the Hakka community of Timor-Leste / Juliette Huber
- Language contact and lexical changes in Khmer and Teochew in Cambodia and beyond / Joanna Rose McFarland
- The nature of Sinitic lexicon in Bazaar Malay and Baba Malay in Singapore / Khin Khin Aye
- Native lexical innovation in Penang Hokkien : thinking beyond Rojak / Catherine Churchman
- A preliminary study of Kaoka Kaojia playscripts in the Philippines / Caroline Chia
- "Do you love China or not" : late-colonial textbooks to learn Mandarin through Malay / Tom Hoogervorst.