The sociality of indigenous dance in Alaska : happiness, tradition, and environment among Yupik on St. Lawrence Island and Iñupiat in Utqiaġvik /
"This book explores indigenous dances and social relationships surrounding the dance activities among Yupik on St. Lawrence Island and Iñupiat in Utqiaġvik, Northern Alaska. Yupik and Iñupiat proudly distinguish their indigenous styles of dance, locally called 'Eskimo dance', from Wes...
Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY :
Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group,
- Political landscape of St. Lawrence Island Yupik and Iñupiaq dance
- Dance, drum, and song as equilateral triangle
- Embodied knowledge and relations with the environment
- Dance, happiness and personhood
- Ways of speaking and ways of dancing
- Indigenous dance, heritage festivals and reciprocity.