Narrating history, home, and dyaspora : critical essays on Edwidge Danticat /
Narrating History, Home, and Dyaspora: Critical Essays on Edwidge Danticat contains fifteen essays addressing how Edwidge Danticat's writing, anthologizing and storytelling trace, (re)construct and develop alternate histories, narratives of nation building and conceptions of home and belonging....
|Other Authors:||, , , ,|
University Press of Mississippi,
- Foreword. A soulful life at work / NadeÌ€ge T. Clitandre
- Introduction / Maia L. Butler, Joanna Davis-McElligatt, and Megan Feifer
- Part I. Another country: nation and dyaspora. From her "little middle place": Edwidge Danticat's diasporic identity and poetics / Maria Rice Bellamy ; LoÌ€t BoÌ€ Dlo, the other side of the water: examining the Kongo Cosmogram in Edwidge Danticat's The Farming of Bones / Joyce White ; "Cast LoÌ€t BoÌ€ Dlo, across the seas": re/writing home and nation in Edwidge Danticat's Create Dangerously: The Immigrant Artist at Work / Olga Blomgren ; LoÌ€t BoÌ€ Dlo and the spatial relations of dyaspora / Gwen Bergner
- Part II. Welcoming ghosts: memory and historicity. Writing Amerindian Ayiti: Edwidge Danticat's reclaimed memory and shifting homes / Erika V. Serrato ; Intertextually weaving a home-place: viewing the past as present in Breath, Eyes, Memory and Untwine / Tammie Jenkins ; Untwine: navigating memories through healing and self-definition / Shewonda Leger ; Collecting and releasing embodied memories: redefining shame in Edwidge Danticat's Breath, Eyes, Memory / Akia Jackson
- Part III. I speak out: storytelling and narrative structure. "The listening gets too loud": the reader's task in Edwidge Danticat's Brother, I'm Dying / Laura Dawkins ; Reading Edwidge Danticat's essays in light of her fiction: diaspora, ethics, aesthetics / LuciÌ?a Stecher and ThomaÌ?s Rothe ; Home exile, language, and the paratext in Anacaona: Golden Flower and Mama's Nightingale: A Story of Immigration and Separation / CeÌ?cile Accilien ; "Quietly, quietly": thinking and teaching the global South through Edwidge Danticat's intertextual writing, reading, and witnessing / Jennifer M. Lozano
- Part IV. "Create dangerously": trauma, resilience, and the way forward. Edwidge Danticat: the ethics of disobedient writing / Isabel Caldeira ; More than a phrase: fighting silence and objectification in Danticat's Claire of the Sea Light / Delphine Gras ; Black butterflies: survival, transformation, and the invention of home in Edwidge Danticat's fiction and nonfiction / Marion Christina Rohrleitner
- Afterword. To breathe a collective air / Thadious M. Davis.