The last hurrah : South Africa and the Royal Tour of 1947 /
Johannesburg ; Cape Town :
Jonathan Ball Publishers,
Elizabeth, > Queen, consort of George VI, King of Great Britain, > 1900-2002 > Travel > South Africa.
|Online Access:||Connect to the full text of this electronic book|
Table of Contents:
- Intro; Title Page; Contents; Dedication; Dramatis Personae; Introduction; CHAPTER 1
- Arrival; CHAPTER 2
- The State Opening of Parliament and the Question of the Imperial Connection; CHAPTER 3
- The Whistlestop Tour: A Mid-century Royal Progress Across the Veld; CHAPTER 4
- Bloemfontein and the Braai at Bultfontein: Afrikaans vs English-Speaking in the Free State; CHAPTER 5
- Race, Empire, Politics and Agendas: Eshowe, Durban and Currie's Fountain; CHAPTER 6
- A State Banquet in Pretoria: The Transvaal Capital Receives the Royal Family.
- CHAPTER 7
- Johannesburg: 'Becher's Brook, Second Time Round'CHAPTER 8
- Tea with Ouma; CHAPTER 9
- Tea at Vergelegen; CHAPTER 10
- The Coming of Age of the Heiress Presumptive: Gently Towards a New Multiracial Commonwealth; CHAPTER 11
- Gone with the Southeaster; Acknowledgements; Glossary; Notes; Sources; Photo section; Praise for the book; About the Book; About the author; Imprint page.